One of the most common questions we hear is, “Is it safe to visit the dentist during COVID?” While we each need to assess our own risk level when leaving our homes, we are doing our best to make sure all precautions are taken. We have implemented infection control and social distancing protocols at every level, which you can read more about here.
If you have delayed your cleaning or addressing a dental issue, here are some important reasons to consider keeping your cleaning and checkup on schedule.
Routine Teeth Cleanings
During a routine hygiene appointment, your teeth and gums are examined for disease, decay or cavities, followed by a cleaning to remove plaque from all surfaces. This is the perfect time to evaluate overall dental health and discuss any changes in your health.
Benefits of keeping a regular scheduled hygiene appointment include:
- Prevent Gum Disease – Regular visits with cleanings in combination with at home care can prevent gum disease.
- Talk About Your Oral Health – Routine exams with your dentist make for the perfect time to ask any dental questions, express concerns, or learn something new. This is your one-on-one time with an expert.
- Receive Brushing and Flossing Tips – Your hygienist will speak to you about brushing and flossing to make sure you are maximizing at home care and doing what is best for your oral health.
- Benefit of Early Detection – The best way to prevent extensive and long-lasting oral damage is to catch any issue early! With regular cleanings and exams, it is more likely that the dentist or hygienist will catch the problem while in an early stage.
- Preserve Your Natural Teeth – While there are dental procedures that can replace or fix your teeth and gums it is always preferable to keep your natural teeth. The chance of this is much higher with a combination of routine hygiene exams, early detection, and at home care.
Health Benefits of Dental Visits During COVID-19
For many people in an elevated risk category, visiting the dentist may seem like an unnecessary exposure in an uncertain time. However, several reports have shown extremely low rates of COVID transfer linked to dental offices, primarily due to strict existing protection practices and adherence to CDC guidelines.1
As elective physician visits have transitioned to virtual appointments, dental appointments typically require an in-person visit. In addition to the benefits listed above, by visiting our office, we’ve been able to address other oral health concerns peripherally related to COVID.2 Some of these include:
- Stress-related issues like clenching and grinding3
- Gum inflammation and tenderness
- Headaches or sore jaw
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Reduced at-home daily care (brushing & flossing)
While we don’t have the ability to snap our fingers and end the pandemic, our team can help keep you on a path to oral health and immediately address any serious concerns. A routine hygiene appointment is not only about having your teeth cleaned, it is also about prevention. It is important to not neglect your visits, regularly or during the pandemic, in order to enjoy all the benefits of oral health.
About Dental Health Associates
At Dental Health Associates of Madison we are here to support you and your overall health and we create a personalized treatment plan for each and every patient. All of our dentists and staff will always be open and honest with you about your dental health, with a focus on preventative treatments and patient education. We’d love to schedule an appointment for you today!
Data Source :