7 Convenient Madison Area Locations
We are close to your home, your child’s school, or your place of employment. Find a location near you.
Find a Dentist Near You
Our team of experienced dentists are dedicated to providing outstanding dental healthcare to the patients of all ages.
Professional Dental Services Provided at Dental Health Associates of Madison
Click on the categories to learn more about the services we offer.
- INSURANCE & PAYMENTS
- ABOUT US
- CONTACT US
Botox and Fillers
Experiencing wrinkles, volume loss in the face and lips, or teeth grinding? We have a wide range of solutions for you.
WHAT IS BOTOX?
Botox is a purified protein that prevents the release of acetylcholine, which reduces muscle contraction. Allergan Botox cosmetic is the first and only treatment FDA-approved to temporarily reduce moderate to severe wrinkles. Results typically last 3-4 months.
- Treatment for clenching/bruxism or TMD when other appliances are not effective.
- Treatment of orofacial pain including headaches and migraines
- Smooth out wrinkles between the eyebrows, known as elevens.
- Smooth out wrinkles around the eyes, known as crow’s feet.
- Smooth out horizontal wrinkles in forehead.
- Smooth out lines around the mouth, known as smoker lines.
WHAT ARE DERMAL FILLERS?
Hyaluronic Acid, the main ingredient in dermal fillers, can smooth out facial folds and wrinkles, add volume to the lips and contour facial features that have lost their volume and fullness due to aging, sun exposure, illness etc. Facial rejuvenation can be carried out with minimal complications and the results can often be seen immediately. Dermal fillers have been shown to be safe and effective when compared to collagen skin implants and related products to fill wrinkles, lines and folds in the skin on the face. Results typically last 6 months.
- Smooth out smile and frown lines between the nose and corner of mouth
- Plump and add volume to lips
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Botox & Fillers - Improving the look of wrinkles and adding volume to your face and lips.
You already know you leave the dentist with a brighter smile. But did you know you could also leave with a fresher youthful appearance and pain relief for several chronic issues.
You’re probably familiar with Botox and how it’s most commonly used for cosmetic purposes getting rid of wrinkles and folds in the skin. But fillers may not be as familiar. “Botox is used to relax our muscles, so any wrinkles that are caused by muscle movement can be smoothed out,” explains Dr. Leah Johnson, Dentist with Dental Health Associates in Madison. “That includes forehead lines and frown lines, we call those the 11′s. Fillers are implants. So we can plump up your lips or those lines you get between your nose and lips.”
But there are new and exciting uses for Botox that aren’t cosmetic at all, which includes treating a number of dental related conditions.
“”Half of my patients get botox in their masseter muscle – that’s their clenching and grinding muscle. It relaxes them so you’re not able to put as much strain on your teeth. A lot of people who clench and grind at night we see wear on their teeth. We see a lot of breakage so it helps protect their teeth,” Johnson said. “But it also helps prevent headaches and migraines as well.”
The Botox option opens the doors for dentists to have deeper conversations with patients about overall health, and wellness, and for patients to confide in dentists when they’re having issues with pain. Botox use in dental offices makes sense because whenever you’re in the dental chair you are being treated by an expert who is specially trained in facial structure, nerves and muscles.
For patients who are suffering from debilitating pain, the possibility now exists that the same place they get their teeth cleaned could offer an even more promising solution for a pain free life. And for those looking to quickly and easily smooth out some fine lines and wrinkles, they no longer need two stops to get that done.
Botox & Filler FAQs
Dr. Leah Johnson is experienced in botox and dermal filler treatments. She is located at our South Clinic in Fitchburg, WI. Dr. Beth Wagner offers botox treatments at our Fitchburg Clinic as well and Dr. Qingze Lv offers botox treatments at our Old Sauk Clinic.
To learn more and schedule a consultation complete the form above or contact us at 608-892-8696.
Pretreatment Instructions – Botox
In an ideal situation it is prudent to follow some simple guidelines before treatment that can make all the difference between a fair result or a great result, by reducing some possible side effects associated with the injections. We realize this is not always possible; however, minimizing these risks is always desirable.
- Patient must be in good health with no active skin infections in the areas to be treated.
- Patient should not be needle phobic.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment. Alcohol may thin the blood which will increase the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, ideally for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as Aspirin, Vitamin E, Gingo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vioxx and other NSAIDs are all blood thinning and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule Botox appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which may be occurring due to possible bruising.
- Discontinue Retin-A 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a rash, cold sore or blemish on the area.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Pre-treatment Instructions – Dermal Fillers
A few simple guidelines before your treatment can make a difference between a good result and a fantastic one.
- Patient should be in good overall health. A full medical and dental history must be performed on all patients for optimal results.
- If you develop a cold sore, blemish or rash etc.. prior to your appointment you must reschedule.
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Let us know if you are prone to cold sores.
- NO Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment.
- Discontinue Retin-A two days before and two days after treatment.
- AVOID: alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates (you may eat fruit), spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after treatment.
Post Treatment Instructions – Botox
- No straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for 3-4 hours following treatment. It takes botox approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve to starting working, so we do not want to increase circulation to that area to wash away the botox from its injection site.
- Avoid manipulation of the area for 3-4 hours following treatment. This includes not doing facials, peels or micro-dermabrasion after treatment.
- Facial exercises in the injected areas are recommended for 1 hour following treatment. This stimulates the binding of the toxin in the localized areas.
- It can take 2-10 days to take full effect.
- Makeup may be applied before leaving the office.
Post-treatment Instructions – Dermal Fillers
DO NOT: touch, press, rub or manipulate the implanted areas for the rest of the day after treatment. Avoid kissing, puckering and sucking movements for the rest of the day as these motor movements can undesirably displace the implanted dermal filler material. You can cause irritation, sores and/or problems and possible scarring if you do.
AVOID: Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or other essential fatty acids at least 3 days after treatment.
AVOID: Alcohol, caffeine, niacin supplement, high- sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates (you may eat fruit), spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours after treatment.
AVOID: Vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for 3 days after treatment.
DISCONTINUE: Retin-A 2 days after treatment. It is best to wear no makeup or lipstick until the next day. Earlier use can cause pustules.
One side may heal faster than the other side.
You can expect some bruising and swelling around the areas that were injected. Apply ice for the first hour after treatment for ten minutes on and ten minutes off.
You must wait 2 weeks before any enhancements.
Please report any redness, blisters or itching immediately if it occurs after treatment.
We encourage new patients to fill out a new patient form online prior to your first appointment. Be sure to select the appropriate location for your new patient forms, as once you complete them, they are sent electronically to the office you’ve chosen.
Medical and dental insurance can be confusing. Our staff has experience with your questions and can help you get the most from your insurance.
No insurance? Apply today.